Over the past few weeks I have been working on creating ways to feature Artists and their blogs in a way that encourages them to grow. Two of the ways I have come up with are
- Adding a feature blog
- Holding contests built around learning
However, I have been stewing about the “How” details wanting to make it “just right” before I launched it. As all to often happens when we get stuck “chasing our tails” something unexpected shows up to snap us out of our endless chase.
Well, that something happened recently when I exceeded 400 Twitter followers. The person who put me over the mark was so elated that I visited her blog. I came away inspired about her dedication to supporting what I have come to call “Open Source Art” the everyday efforts of ordinary folks to touch their creativity. I decided then and there that I would start my Featured Blog with her and continue it whenever I came across an art blog that supported and furthered not only the act of creation but also recognized the need to honor it.
At his point I have no set criteria for deciding but I will be looking at basic things like:
What a featured blog gets
Each Featured blog will receive:
- A feature article -The article will feature my impressions of the blog and why I picked it.
- A bookmark on Digg,StumbleUpon,Reddit and any others they would like
- A tweet – sent out when the article is published plus special #followfriday listing and addition to the #featuredartblog listing
- A custom widget – A widget similar to the one now at the top of the second sidebar column that will be dedicated to their posts. The widget will be placed in circulation within the WidgetBox gallery which will give the blog wider circulation.
- A link from this site – An inbound link to help build credibility and readers
- Other surprises – A grab bag of unknown (even to me) things that may be added.
Nominating a blog
I have been assembling a list of blogs to feature I also want to give others the ability to nominate blogs. For now the simplest way to nominate is to use the comment form below, enter the following basic info
- Blog’s name
- A link to the blog using its’ URL (the http:// web address)
- Owner/Author’s name
- Brief description of why you think the blog should be featured.
- Featured Blog: Inspiration Flirtation Today is the first of our Featured Blogs, to read…
- Self Investment: your # 1 intention in a down economy Self investment from here on out should be focused on…
- Marketing Monday: Finding the right Followers As I indicated Tuesday one of the first and most…